Allergies can range from the serious and chronic to the comparatively harmless. Understanding what causes allergies is very important because it may help to limit or prevent them from happening. Here are some of the most common and often overlooked causes of allergies:
– Seasonal Allergies. These allergen sensitivities are due to things such as weather conditions, allergens, exercise, pollen, chemicals, molds, and other substances that occur at different times of the year.
– Allergic to pollens. Pollen allergies can be caused by all kinds of pollens including grasses, weeds, molds, dust, and even fish and animal dander. You may feel itchy or a burning sensation when you are around these substances.
– Pet Dander Allergy. These allergies are caused by contact with saliva from pet hair and dander that is produced by a number of animals including dogs, cats, birds, horses, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, and many more.
– Allergic to ragweed. This is a plant that is commonly found on or near hayfields and farmers’ fields and has been known to cause skin rashes and allergic reactions.
– Allergies to trees. Most people have at least one tree in their yards and are prone to allergic reactions to them. You may be more likely to be allergic to trees and plants if you live in an area that experiences heavy snow or rain.
– Allergies to children. Children, particularly young children are a large number of people who are prone to allergic reactions to certain allergens.
– Allergies to things in your home. You may experience an allergic reaction when you are exposed to these items. These items could include but are not limited to shampoos, creams, detergents, perfumes, and other cleaners, soap, pet medications, household cleaners, fabrics, and soaps.
– Allergies to the skin or hair. When your skin or hair is irritated by things such as molds, dust, and other allergens, you may experience itching and dry skin. This condition is called atopic dermatitis.
– Asthma and allergies. One of the most common problems of children and adults is an allergy to one or more of the elements of asthma. However, the allergy may not show up until years after the initial triggering event.
If you are experiencing symptoms that are common to different types of allergies, make an appointment with your doctor. By doing so, he will be able to tell you if you may be suffering from allergies. It is never too late to take care of the things that you can do to protect yourself and your family.